The Arrival of Steven Logan Singer

As many of you know, we were really hoping to have the baby on September 4, to carry on a tradition in my family. My father, and both of my grandmas are all born on September 4th. So to have a baby on that day would be amazing. So as the 4th got near, we were all getting anxious for the little one to make his way into the world.

September 1st, in the morning at work I could feel some very mild pain/cramps as I sat at work. As the day progressed, the pain was just discomfort. I pushed them aside as Braxton Hick contractions since, well, I do not recall having any during the pregnancy.

September 2nd, I decided to go into work even though the pain and cramping was back. But this time it was feeling a bit more like contractions. Very mild where I just ignored them but they were there. They did not go away after a few hours and it was getting a wee bit hard to walk even. So after I finished my work and attended our meeting, I went home. But of course, the pain subsided again.

September 3rd, I decided to take the pups for a walk in the morning to see if it would kick start anything. After the walk, we went to lunch with some family then walked around the mall for an hour. Grandma had bought me a yoga ball to sit on as well. So I sat, bounced and rolled on that yoga ball for hours. For dinner, we went to my parents house since after all, its my dad and grandma's birthday weekend. My brother and his wife were out from California for the weekend as well. My grandfather always said jigsaw puzzles help as well. So my mom and I did a puzzle as I still sat upon that yoga ball. About every hour, Steven would ask me, "anything yet?" and I would just say nope. When we had left my parents house about 730 pm, still nothing by the way, we went home and "relaxed." I took a shower and got ready for bed. And boom! I was having more painful and stronger contractions that when I timed, were about every 2 to 5 minutes. So after waiting the hour to see if anything changes, we headed into the hospital.

We got to the hospital about 9pm and they told me I was 3 cm when they finally checked me in. So the nurse had me walk around for an hour to see if anything changes. So we walked and walked around for the hour. Around midnight, the nurse told me I was still at 3 cm and there are contractions. She gave us the option to either stay a bit longer and she will check again in half an hour, or we could go home since we live across the street from the hospital. She told us that she wants me in tears during the contractions. So we stayed and the moment she left the room, my contractions got more painful. Eventually she came back in about 1 am. Told her they were hurting more and she told me I was 4 cm. So they admitted us into labor and delivery.

September 4th, 130 am we were admitted. I elected to get Stadol for pain over an epidural at that time because the nurse said it would make me real sleepy. She did tell me it would make me feel as if I was drunk so, knowing what happens when I wake up feeling like that, I requested one of those blue throw up bowl bags. As she gave me half the dose thru my IV, I was dizzy and feeling drunk. When she gave me the whole dose, I passed out. At least I was able to get some sleep since who knows how long it would be before I got to sleep again. I was still aware of the contractions but I was just so tired from the pain killers that I just slept.

At about 7 am, my doctor was in and wanting to give me my epidural and break my water. So the anesthesia doctor came in to give me my epidural. I was nervous because a needle in my back and spine ... not really my kind of thing. But my nurse walked me thru it and the doctor was highly skilled and it did not even hurt. Just a few pokes and I was done. When my doctor came back in to break my water, she told me I was still 4 cm.

When 930 am rolled around and family was coming to visit, the doctor told me I was already 9 cm and just about ready to push. They began to set the room up for the delivery and family was in and out coming to see us.

As it neared 11 am, they cleared the room out and it was time. As I pushed for about half an hour, they determined the baby's head was stuck behind my pubic bone, So they lowered my epidural so we could change positions to see if the baby would free himself. After a bit more time, the baby was still stuck and would not budge. I had two options remaining at that point. The vacuum or a c-section. It was frustrating only having those two options. So they let me sit for a bit to cool down and see if the baby would still move. But with a lowered epidural, I was feeling very sharp and very painful stabbing sensation on the left side of my uterus. I was hyperventilating since it hurt so back and just un responsive. They cranked my epidural back up but it did not help. So more pain meds flooded thru the line to try to stop the pain. My delivery team was preparing for a c-section when Steven and my mom said to try the vacuum first. Me, still in a lot of pain from this stabbing sensation did not really know what was going on. But thankfully, the vacuum was able to un-stick the baby's head and then he was here. 2 weeks early but born on September 4th at 12:42 pm.

They handed me my baby, who was covered in that sticky icky white stuff to see for the very first time. They took him to his little bin to clean him up and get a check up while the doctor fixed me up. I was out of it from all the medicine they had given me to calm me down. Finally, I was able to hold my son, who was cleaned, and begin to bond with him.

Though it was not everything I hoped for, I was grateful that I did not have a c-section and that he was a healthy baby.

Steven Logan Singer, born September 4, 2016, 6 pounds 7 ounces and 19 inches long.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosella's Pregnancy

DIY Baby Food

Creamy Spaghetti: Recipe