Rosella's NICU Story

Rosella spent the first 3 weeks of her life in the NICU. It was very hard on us emotionally and physically. Not only my husband and I, but our families as well. She was born just over 8 weeks early. Everyday we hoped she would grow and not have any issues. It was a long three weeks. Logan was still in preschool at the time so at least I was able to visit her everyday. 

Rosella was born 31 weeks and 5 days gestation. Just over 2 months early. She was only 3 pounds 9 ounces. Just a little thing. She was born 3:33 in the morning. I did not get to see her until about 8:30 and I still was unable to hold my baby. Granted I was so drugged up from everything (if you read the Arrival of Rosella's post). We went back a bit before 2pm and then I was able to hold her. 

The rules were a bit strict. To those who never have experienced a child in the NICU, you will not understand how emotional it can be. We could only hold her right after care and feeding and you had to hold her for at least an hour because she needed to sleep most of the day. Care and feedings were every three hours day and night. But we could not hold her more than once a day to start and as she got bigger, twice a day. Also wrestling the wires was a struggle. You had to be quiet because of the other babies in the ward. Could only be max people, which meant you and three others. You could have a few people on an approved list to allow into the NICU without you there and you could allow them to care or hold you child. So no, I was not able to just hold my daughter when I wanted. I could not snuggle her for hours. Most of the time I had to schedule time to hold my child.... If she had the blue light on, nope no holding her. And that light could be on for a few days at a time. Wash your hands, put your phone in a plastic bag, were some other rules we had to follow.  Though I know not all NICUs are the same but most of them are close. 

Though I was able to help participate in the care section, which really consisted of changing her butt, taking her temperature and cleaning her mouth, it was ice to feel useful and involved in the first part of her life.

As I would sit in the hospital chair staring into her incubator seeing her all connected to different wires to monitor her, to feed her, it was hard to watch her baby hoping everything will be OK. We were in a ward with seven other incubators some babies came and went and some babies for their entire time we were. Every time an alarm go off my eyes which should up to her screen to make sure it wasn’t her. I was there once when she dropped and it was an emergency because she was breathing her oxygen levels dropped which signaled the alarm. I moved back, out of the way for the nurses as they rushed over to her yelling “singer”. To signal other who’s alarm it was. Tears weld up in my eyes hoping it is nothing g major. She was in a deep sleep and was not taking enough deep breathes which is why the alarm went off. Nothing major thankfully. But from that moment, I would watch that screen as the numbers were constantly changing. Praying the red alarm would not ring again. (you can see the screen in the picture with Logan in the back)

The days took so long waiting to have someone to take me to the hospital and see my baby girl. I knew she was in the best care she needed but nothing made me feel better. She was in the "higher level" ward for 10 days and moved to the "lower level" ward on May 11th. It was better as she just needed to grow and learn to feed. Plus we got our own room with a pull out couch and it just felt more homey rather than the typical NICU ward. Not long after she moved, she was placed into an open air crib which meant she was able to maintain her body temperature. Then shortly after that, her nasal feeding tube came out as she was able to take most of her bottles! Each little milestone she hit, it got us closer to taking her home.

Rosella was a week old when Logan finally got to see her. Though it was definitely not how I pictured it, Steven took Logan somewhere prior to visiting us and he had brought her this little Peppa pig animal. Granted he dropped it on the floor many times from the car to the room and chewed on it, so Rosella didn't get it for obvious reasons. But he got to touch her through the little holes in the incubator. He was happy and had a smile on his face.

When we were finally able to bring Miss Rosella home, she had only gained a total of 15 ounces. Still less than 5 pounds and still itty bitty.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rosella's Pregnancy

DIY Baby Food

Creamy Spaghetti: Recipe